John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital and John C. Lincoln Deer Valley Hospital
John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital is a 264-bed private, not-for-profit hospital located in North Central Phoenix. The hospital serves a diverse patient population.
John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital has 20 general surgeons associated with the residency program with experience in advanced laparoscopic surgery, hepatobiliary, surgical oncology, trauma/critical care and robotic procedures.
John C. Lincoln also boasts an active endoscopy program – a must in the training of the modern surgeon. Full time surgical staff in the disciplines of plastic and reconstructive surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, colorectal surgery, vascular surgery, endocrine surgery, breast surgery, critical care and surgical oncology will also work closely with general surgery residents during the five training years.
Residents spend approximately four to five months each year during the first four years on a general surgery/trauma/ICU rotation and spend the other months rotating through the previously discussed specialties. The chief year is spent transitioning into the role of attending surgeon; chief residents run their own service that will be staffed by our program director, Alicia Mangram, MD, FACS.
John C. Lincoln North Mountain Hospital Level I Trauma Center
Level I Trauma Center
North Mountain Hospital is home to a Level 1 Trauma Center with over 5,000 trauma admissions per year. The hospital's trauma center offers general surgery residents experience with a variety of emergency procedures/operations as well as critical care management. Our 22-bed surgical ICU offers residents an invaluable education in the treatment of critically ill patients.
Midwestern University (OPTI) Simulation Lab
Resources of the Midwestern University Simulation Lab include:
- 19 fully equipped clinical examination rooms
- Two digital cameras and microphone in each room to capture A/V record of student assessments
- Computer workstation outside and inside each room
Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Skills (FLS) and Skills Lab
Instruction in surgical techniques starts in the intern year, when residents are taught laparoscopic fundamentals in an all-access skills laboratory containing laparoscopy, bronchoscopy, and colonoscopy virtual simulators.
Information about Phoenix, Arizona
- Easy driving distance to mountains, lakes, Mexico and California
- Many cultural activities (craft fairs, festivals, art walks)
- Great shopping (multiple shopping centers, boutiques and outlet shopping)
- Abundant restaurants with a wide range of cuisine
- Mild winters; an annual average temperature of 85 degrees
- The Arizona Science Center
- Numerous amusement and water parks
- Internationally acclaimed golf courses and resorts
- Miles of bike and hiking paths
- Several professional sports teams (Phoenix Suns, Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Coyotes, Phoenix Mercury)
- Cactus League spring training
- The Desert Botanical Garden
- The Phoenix Zoo (largest privately funded zoo in the nation)
- A multicultural environment; the Heard Museum, featuring Native American art and artifacts, is one of our fine multicultural educational facilities
- Many excellent public and private universities and community colleges
- An active and varied night life including comedy clubs, nightclubs and theaters