April 15, 2010
A new partnership agreement between John C. Lincoln's Breast Health and Research Center and The Wellness Community beginning in May will quadruple their support services for Valley breast cancer patients, the two organizations have announced.
"We will have free support events every week instead of monthly," said Sherry Gage, director of the Breast Health and Research Center. "This makes a much more comprehensive range of services available to patients who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and can benefit from information and psychosocial support from others who are on the same journey to recovery."
"Providing the full range of 'gold standard' Wellness Community programs is a reflection of John C Lincoln's commitment to ensuring its breast cancer survivors have outstanding support," said Paula Hardison, executive director, The Wellness Community-Phoenix. "Working together through the Cancer Support Network guarantees comprehensive cancer care is delivered."
Under the new schedule, beginning in May, the Breast Cancer Support Group co-sponsored by John C. Lincoln and The Wellness Community will meet from 6-8 p.m. every Thursday at the Breast Health and Research Center, Suite 205, 19646 N. 27th Avenue, Phoenix. The center is immediately southwest of the I-17/Freeway 101 interchange, across 27th Ave. from John C. Lincoln Deer Valley Hospital.
- On the first Thursday each month, a special exercise program for breast cancer patients will be offered.
- On the second and fourth Thursdays, regular support group programs will be held.
- On the third Thursday, programs will alternate between music/relaxation therapies and nutrition/cooking programs to help fight breast cancer.
In addition to the John C. Lincoln/The Wellness Community support group activities for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients, two more support groups for breast cancer patients with specialized needs meet every month at the Breast Health and Research Center:
- The Circle of Help for patients with advanced, metastatic or recurrent breast cancer meets from 6-8 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of each month.
- The Young Survivors Coalition support group for patients in their 20s, 30s and 40s meets from 6-8 p.m. on the second Tuesday each month.
More information about the various support group activities is available by calling the Breast Health and Research Center at 623-434-HOPE (4673) or visiting JCL.com/breasthealth on the Internet.
Return to main News page.