Single incision laparoscopic surgeryTM (SILS) is often referred to as scarless surgery. John C. Lincoln's SILS System provides surgeons and patients with the most advanced minimally invasive surgical option available.
Instead of a 6-inch incision required by traditional surgery, or three to four smaller half-inch incisions used in standard laparoscopic surgery, our program's surgeons operate almost exclusively through a single entry point, typically the patient's belly button.
The ability to articulate allows the surgeon to approach the surgical site from different angles, thereby restoring triangulation and improving visualization.
Since the entire surgery is performed through a single incision, it is less likely to leave any visible scar like the ones left by tradition or multiple laparoscopic surgeries.
Patients are also likely to benefit from less post-operative pain, less blood loss, faster recovery time, fewer complications and better cosmetic results. See a full list of benefits for patients.
Procedures Performed with the SILS System
The SILS System is used in procedures that treat a range of conditions, including:
- Cholecystectomy: Surgery to remove the gallbladder.
- Nephrectomy: Surgery to remove a kidney.
- Hysterectomy: Surgery to remove of the uterus (womb).
- Appendectomy: Surgery to remove the appendix.
- Tubal ligations: Surgery surgical procedure for sterilization in which a woman's fallopian tubes are clamped and blocked; also known as getting tubes tied.
- Prostatectomy: Surgery to remove the prostate.
For a referral or more information, call our program coordinator at 602-331-7831.