« 1940s | back to timeline | 1960s »
Sunnyslope and the desert north of the mountains in the mid-1950s.
As former servicemen who trained in Arizona in the 1940s return after the war, the North Phoenix area booms with young families. These children carry on the patriotic tradition of their parents as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance at the Helen C. Lincoln Day Nursery.
Marguerite Colley continues to provide food, clothing and social services to area residents and patients through the welfare office of Desert Mission.
Many children once swam in local irrigation canals to cool off in the hot Arizona summer. That changed in 1947, when Desert Mission builds a community pool, which serves the Sunnyslope community until 1958.
Helen C. Lincoln presents projections for the growth of the Desert Mission Day Nursery and the John C. Lincoln Hospital to the Desert Mission Board in the early 1950s.
Recognizing that patients and family members need their spirits uplifted during long recuperations, Desert Mission creates a "Character Building" program in the 1930s. In the 1950s, Desert Mission builds a baseball park and forms a baseball team as part of this program.
Desert Mission, as concerned for the well-being of ailing patients as for their medical care, provides many activities for patients and their families, including lawn checkers.
In 1954, construction at Desert Mission is a community effort. Local construction workers and community members, along with Desert Mission board member Chester Hansen, chief of staff Dr. Bertram Snyder and administrator Herbert Hancox, lay the foundation for an addition to the Desert Mission Convalescent Hospital.
1959 - On May 24, 1959, John Cromwell Lincoln dies at the age of 92. Before his death, he envisions a modern, multi-storied hospital facility — a vision firmly implanted in the minds and hearts of his widow, Helen C. Lincoln, hospital administrator Herbert Hancox and board president E. Ray Cowden. Shortly after Lincoln's death, they agree to begin a fund raising effort for the construction of a new hospital.
1959 - An eight-bed pediatric ward is added to the hospital, bringing the total number of beds to 50. The hospital has a staff of 100 and provides all services except obstetrics.
1959 - After several failed attempts at incorporation, Sunnyslope is annexed by the City of Phoenix.
1958 - Phoenix Osteopathic Hospital begins building a new facility on land bordering Indian School Road, renaming the facility Phoenix General Hospital.
1958 - Coronary angiography is invented, making it possible to visualize coronary artery blockages.
1956 - Phoenix Osteopathic Hospital leases the McDowell Osteopathic Hospital, thereafter operating both facilities.
1955 - A $200,000 wing to the new hospital is completed; it includes major surgical facilities. Much of the funding for the construction comes from the Lincolns. On Oct. 25, 1955, the first surgery is performed. At this time, the hospital had 40 inpatient beds, 65 employees and 200 medical doctors on staff.
1955 - Johnson & Johnson introduces Tylenol.
1955 - Civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. leads a boycott of the Montgomery, Ala. bus system after Rosa Parks refuses to sit in the segregated section of a bus.
1954 - In a move designed to recognize the staunch and generous support of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Lincoln, in both finances and personal services, the Desert Mission Board of Directors votes to change the name of the hospital to honor them. On Dec. 20, 1954, the hospital is incorporated as an independent entity separate from the Desert Mission. Its new name is the John C. Lincoln Hospital.
1954 - Phoenix continues its rapid growth, and acute care hospital facilities become increasingly overcrowded. In 1954, the Desert Mission Board of Directors moves to expand the hospital's services, allowing it to become a general acute care hospital. The hospital is officially licensed as an acute care facility, and a medical staff is organized.
1954 - Additions to the Desert Mission Convalescent Hospital are completed.
1954 - The U.S. Supreme Court declares that segregated schools violate the 14th Amendment.
1953 - Dr. Jonas Salk begins inoculating children against polio.
1953 - Sunnyslope High School is completed; students begin attending classes.
1953 - Discovery of the double helix structure of DNA by Rosalind Elsie Franklin, F.H. Crick and James D. Watson.
1953 - The Korean War ends.
1953 - Dwight Eisenhower is inaugurated as President of the United States.
1952 - The John C. Lincoln Hospital North Mountain Auxiliary is founded.
The Roy Brooks Outpatient Clinic, the Emergency Station and the Desert Mission Convalescent Home are organized and licensed by the Arizona Department of Health as the Desert Mission Convalescent Hospital. It is the 62nd hospital to be licensed in Arizona and has 16 beds for inpatient care — along with a pharmacy, X-ray facilities and an outpatient department. During its first year of operation, the new hospital admits 79 patients. The hospital is accepted as a member of the Arizona Hospital Association and the American Hospital Association.
1951 - Originally, the Desert Mission Convalescent Home is intended to care only for ambulatory cases of arthritis, asthma, diabetes and similar non-contagious diseases. However, no hospitals are located nearer than eight miles; existing Phoenix hospitals are already overcrowded. It is clear to the Desert Mission board of directors that the health care needs of the community have outgrown Desert Mission's modest organization.
1951 - Sunnyslope Chamber of Commerce is established.
1950 - The Helen C. Lincoln Day Nursery is constructed to replace the old Desert Mission nursery building, which the Mission had outgrown. The nursery is built through the generosity of Mrs. Lincoln.
1950 - The United Nations declare war on Korea.
1950s - The widespread use of air-conditioning sweeps Arizona in the 1950s, dramatically increasing the state's attractiveness and fueling an unprecedented building boom. Young families continue to flock to Arizona and Sunnyslope.
« 1940s | back to timeline | 1960s »