« 1930s | back to timeline | 1950s »
Fire destroys nearly all of Desert Mission in 1942.
The William Wrigley Recreational Building survives the 1942 fire and becomes the focal point for children's activities in Sunnyslope.
Many children once swam in local irrigation canals to cool off in the hot Arizona summer. That changed in 1947, when Desert Mission builds a community pool, which serves the Sunnyslope community until 1958.
Aileen Robinson Sonderman and Ellen Ekelund Cooke break ground for the new Roy Brooks Outpatient Clinic.
Volunteer dentists provide dental services to Desert Mission children beginning in 1929.
Desert Mission, as concerned for the well-being of ailing patients as for their medical care, provides many activities for patients and their families, including lawn checkers.
Bertram L. Snyder, MD becomes head of the Desert Mission clinic, and eventually becomes the first chief of staff for John C. Lincoln Convalescent Hospital.
1949 - A community swimming pool is constructed as a gift from Helen C. Lincoln and Phoenix Salvage Company. Other building projects, including a permanent baseball field for the local Desert Mission softball team, are financed by donations from various benefactors and from the sale of Desert Mission stamps.
1949 - The Desert Mission board of directors deeds approximately five acres of land at Hatcher Road and Second Street to the Sunnyslope Presbyterian Church. Operation of the Desert Mission and the church are separated; each forms its own board of directors.
1948 - Herbert F. Hancox is appointed superintendent of the Desert Mission.
1948 - Motorola arrives in Phoenix, spurring high-tech industrial growth.
1947 - Roy Brooks Outpatient Clinic is completed, replacing the former clinic in Osborne Cottage. Inside the clinic is a room outfitted with a dental clinic.
1947 - Bell Laboratories invents the transistor, the key component needed to develop programmable computers.
1946 - Cattleman E. Ray Cowden is elected as president of the Desert Mission board of directors, succeeding John C. Lincoln, who had held that post for 15 years.
1946 - McDowell Osteopathic Hospital opens with 30 beds.
1946 - First clinical tests of the use of the newly discovered antibiotic streptomycin for treatment of tuberculosis are performed.
1946 - The Desert Mission Convalescent Home is built to provide lodging and care for needy persons. Although John C. Lincoln gives generously toward the construction of the home, it is several years before he permitted the facility to bear his name.
1945 - The United Nations is established.
1945 - Vice President Harry S. Truman becomes President of the United States, upon the sudden death of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1945 - World War II ends, precipitating the Baby Boom. Servicemen who had trained in Arizona and fallen for the sunshine bring their families back to Arizona. Many settle in Sunnyslope.
1944 - Dr. Fred Holmes retires and Bertram L. Snyder, MD, a Phoenix chest specialist like Holmes, agrees to head Desert Mission's clinic.
1944 - U.S. forces invade Normandy on June 6, also known as "D-Day."
1943 - Phoenix plumbing contractor Roy Brooks donates $15,000 in memory of his son for construction of a clinic building at the Desert Mission. Due to World War II, it takes four years for the final building to be constructed.
1942 - On March 6, 1942, a fire started by a spark in the pump house destroys all the buildings at Desert Mission — except the library and Wrigley Recreational Building. The loss of property is estimated at $22,000, but there were no deaths or injuries. Despite a $16,000 insurance settlement, building materials are not available due to World War II. Desert Mission's board of directors decide to undertake a drive for money to be used when materials finally did become available. The herculean task of rebuilding inspired admiration across the nation. The drive raised an additional $30,000.
1941 - Desert Mission's Model Cottage is built as a convalescent home for patients, through the generosity of the Washington, D.C. branch of the Knights of the Round Table.
1941 - On Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese forces launch a surprise attack on the United States Naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
1940 - The first prescription pharmacy is opened in Sunnyslope, making it no longer necessary to depend on motorcycle service from the drug store at Central Avenue and Indian School Road.
1940s - Arizona's open space and weather make it an ideal training ground for servicemen. Many return to the area following World War II, fueling Arizona's growth. During this time, Sunnyslope residents begin building a modern community, including streets, schools, businesses and various service organizations.
« 1930s | back to timeline | 1950s »