« 1920s | back to timeline | 1940s »
The Desert Mission grounds in the 1930s.
Desert Mission leaders strap a donated film screen to the top of their vehicle and travel around Arizona showing films to raise money for the mission.
Built in 1930, the William Wrigley, Jr. Community Building becomes a center for Sunnyslope residents.
Touched by both the plight and compassion of the Desert Mission community, John and Helen C. Lincoln immediately become involved, donating their time and money to its cause. In this later photo, they prepare to watch Desert Mission children participate in a parade.
Ellen Ekelund Cooke visits tent homes in the Sunnyslope area.
This giant slide on Desert Mission grounds is a popular gathering place for local children in the 1930s.
A small pool is built for the children of Desert Mission.
1939 - Through the persuasive efforts of Dr. Hood and Ellen Ekelund Cooke, Fred Holmes, MD, agrees to take over the Osborne Cottage clinic and becomes the first resident physician at Desert Mission.
1939 - Ellen Ekelund Cooke, RN, arrives from Chicago to become the first registered nurse at the Desert Mission.
1939 - Desert Mission's commitment to child care begins with a nursery school housed in one of the small cottages on the Desert Mission grounds.
1939 - The Desert Mission is reorganized as a Presbyterian Church and also makes an authorized mission of the Presbyterian Church.
1939 - World War II begins.
1938 - First total artificial hip replacement is performed.
1938 - The Reverend Dr. Harvey A. Hood becomes superintendent of the Desert Mission.
1938 - Invention of xerography by Chester Carlson.
1936 - Phoenix Community Chest designates the Desert Mission as the agency to care for the welfare needs north of the Arizona Canal, giving legitimacy to the social services and food Desert Mission had been providing the community since 1927.
1936 - A combination bus-ambulance is built for the Desert Mission in Detroit, through the courtesy of a benefactor in Washington, D.C.
1935 - Desert Mission and the Northside Welfare Association are incorporated as Desert Mission. Social worker Marguerite Colley becomes a full-time member of the Desert Mission staff.
1934 - Reverend Hillhouse begins selling Desert Mission stamps to raise funds for Desert Mission's work. He sends eloquent letters all over the country asking supporters to purchase the stamps, which sold for $1 for a sheet of 100 stamps.
1933 - Mr. and Mrs. Illman present sound motion picture equipment to the Desert Mission.
1933 - John C. and Helen Lincoln contribute $2,000 and Sarah McCahan contribute $1,000 for the purchase of the Olney tract, 20 acres of land between present day Dunlap and Hatcher from Second Street to Third Street. The land is deeded to Desert Mission and eventually becomes the site of John C. Lincoln Hospital.
1933 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt launches the New Deal.
1933 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt is inaugurated as President of the United States.
1931 - The Northside Welfare Association hires Marguerite Colley as a social worker to continue her home visits to the sick and indigent. Later, the association moves into one of the convalescent cottages on Desert Mission grounds.
1931 - John C. Lincoln, millionaire inventor and philanthropist, and his wife Helen, spend their first winter in the Phoenix area because of Helen Lincoln's ill health.
1931 - Frederick S. McKay discovers that fluoride prevents tooth decay.
1930 - William Wrigley, Jr. Community Building is built on land neighboring the McCahan Memorial Chapel. A well-equipped playground, wading pool, well and pump, and several small cottages are erected as a result of generous donations. These cottages are rented to convalescing patients, giving Desert Mission a modest income.
1930s - By the early 1930s, nearly 700 people live in the Sunnyslope area, and the Desert Mission becomes a thriving community center.
« 1920s | back to timeline | 1940s »